What do I need to do to take care of my mouth after wisdom teeth extraction?

Dr. Anna Guarna
Dentistry

In brief: Be gentle

Immediately after, avoid hard "swishing"/rinsing of mouth as you may dislodge clot.
Brush xtra gently or you may want to avoid the area for a day. Eat softer foods (i recommend pts keep foods/liquids at room temperature -at least the first 1-2 days). You may have other/addl instructions depending on the severity of the extraction(s)/whether sutures (stitches) are used or not. Check with your doc.

In brief: Be gentle

Dr. Anna Guarna
Dr. Anna Guarna
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Dentist will say

I hope you are inquiring preemptively, and that you are not asking after the fact.
Here is a link to get instructions from my web site: http://c1-preview.Prosites.Com/61298/wy/docs/postoperative.Pdf i hope that helps.

In brief: Dentist will say

Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry

In brief: After Care Important

Any anti-inflammatory medication can help.
Aleve, (naproxen) motrin, advil and even a holistic alternative arnica montana. Ice to minimize swelling can also be helpful... 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off. Loritab or something similar is usually prescribed with tooth extractions, for patients who have no allergy to codeine. A very gentle salt water rinse after 24 hours can be soothing and healing...

In brief: After Care Important

Dr. James Wright
Dr. James Wright

In brief: Post-op instructions

The most important things to remember are 1.
No smoking. 2. Avoid suction, pressure, and heat in the mouth (don't drink through a straw or suck on the surgical site). 3. Keep your mouth clean; brush, floss and use warm saltwater rinse (gently, starting the day after surgery). 4. Eat healthy to encourage fast healing. If it oozes bright red blood bite down on some gauze, pressure stops bleeding.

In brief: Post-op instructions

Dr. Justin Frandsen
Dr. Justin Frandsen
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine