What are slime molds and do they affect my health?

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Mold

Slime mold is a broad term describing protists that use spores to reproduce.
Slime molds were formerly classified as fungi, but are no longer considered part of this kingdom. Their common name refers to part of some of these organisms' life cycles where they can appear as gelatinous "slime". This is mostly seen with the myxomycetes, which are the only macroscopic slime molds. And possibly...

In brief: Mold

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Sean McGhee

In brief: Ameoba/fungus-like

Slime molds are similar to fungi, but not the same thing.
They are more like ameobas from biology class that you can see. Although they have the name "mold" they are different from the fungi that cause mildew and spoil bread and fruit and are what most people think of as mold. They are important to biologists, but do not have any health effects that I have heard of or have been able to identify.

In brief: Ameoba/fungus-like

Dr. Sean McGhee
Dr. Sean McGhee
Dr. William Forsythe