How should I get rid of swollen gums with braces?

Oral hygiene. Since your braces collect more debris, plaque and tarter accumulate much faster around the brackets, it is more difficult to reach between the teeth and to floss, regardless, you should try harder when you have braces get you teeth cleaned every 3 m not 6 months. Brush and floss as usual and use a water pick to flush out the deposits and an interproximal brush to clean between the teeth.
Good oral hygiene. Braces make it more difficult to keep your teeth clean with all the nooks and crannies. That means one has to be more vigilant about brushing and flossing, sometimes more often than when you don't have braces. Being strict about your oral hygiene is important to prevent problems down the road.
Improve oral hygiene. Braces make it more difficult to clean. You must brush 2x/day for 2 full minutes by the clock w soft or electric t/brush & pea sized portion of t'paste. You must clean between teeth daily w floss and/or WaterPik (does wonders), but it must be EVERY DAY. See Dentist more frequently for professional cleaning if swelling remains. Ask your specialist Orthodontist if a Oeriodontis should be consulted.
See below. See your dentist on prescribed intervals. If you have traditional orthodontics, have the orthodontist remove the wire for optimum cleaning by the dentist and or hygienist. If needed, the orthodontist or general dentist may refer you to a periodontist.