Is singulair (montelukast) effective by itself?

Dr. Michael Sanders
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Not in my opinion

I have seen 100's of patients on singular and I can't tell it does much at all.
I think if you're going to be on a drug in this class for asthma, zyflo is a much better choice.

In brief: Not in my opinion

Dr. Michael Sanders
Dr. Michael Sanders
Dr. James Sublett
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

Montelukast is effective as a "controller" medication in mild asthma and also is approved by the fda for allergic rhinitis (hay fever).
It may be used alone or with other allergy/asthma medications. All ashtmatics should have a "reliever inhaler" in addition to their controller medication.

Dr. James Sublett
Dr. James Sublett
Dr. Jack Mutnick

In brief: Can be

It can be.
Only way to know is to use it and see. If not, then you will need additional medications. Personally, I have not found it to be effective alone. Oftentimes i need to combine it with another medication or add it on as adjunctive therapy.

In brief: Can be

It can be.
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick