Why did doctor prescribe me folic acid tablet when I am getting pregnancy symptoms but negative strip test on the 1st day of missed period?

Folate (folic acid) for pregnancy. Your doctor is absolutely right. Folic acid supplementation (1 mg/day) is very important for pregnancy, but, and this is a point that most people don't understand, it has to be started before your get pregnant to work. If you wait until you're actually pregnant, you won't get much protection from neural tube defects, a very serious congenital abnormality.
Prevention. Low Folic Acid levels are associated with neural tube defects, that is, failure of the spinal column to close, causing things such as spina bifida. Folic acid is an essential nutrient and low levels place one at risk. It is contained in many fortified foods, vitamins and the like. This is most likely the reason for the Folic Acid being added.
Folic acid. Folic acid helps prevent certain birth defects. It is recommended you start taking it before becoming pregnant and during your pregnancy. If you are trying to get pregnant, you should start on Folic Acid now.
Folic acid. Folic acid helps prevent neural tube defects such as spina bifida, & it is now recommended that even women planning on becoming pregnant should start supplementing Folic Acid even before they conceive. It's a matter of preventing easily preventable birth defects.
Just in case. Folic acid supplementation is extremely important in the first days of pregnancy. Taking it if you are not pregnant is not a big deal, it won't hurt you, but if you are deficient, the baby can have really bad deformities. Until the pregnancy is confirmed or ruled out, it's wise to start with it. Nowadays, the recommendation is to give it to women that are seeking to get pregnant.
Preventive care. Your doctor was practicing good preventive care by prescribing Folic Acid when it was thought you were in the early phases of pregnancy. This is to prevent neurologic malformations which often occur in pregnant folate deficient women. If you are having unprotected sex, you should strongly consider continuing folic acid, a benign substance which does not cause toxicity even at high levels.
That's ok. Folic acid will help prevent serious bith defects in your baby and if you are trying ti get pregnant you should start taking it 2-3 months before getting pregnant for better benefit.
It will benefit you. Whether it is an early or future pregnancy it will lessen the risks of neural tube defects and is is also good for the patients health.
As doc. Should probably ask the prescriber, but i assume it is because they either think you may be pregnant or will soon be.
Prevention reasons. Folic acid has been shown to decrease the incidence of neural tube defects in pregnant women. It is best to be taking Folic Acid before you get pregnant to ensure there is an adequate supply within you and the first few weeks of conception when you are not even aware you are pregnant. Omega 3 dha is also recommended for brain development and a prenatal. Take those now even if you arent pregnant.