I've just been advised I have haematomacrosis what foods should I avoid ?

Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Just a few

There is no need to avoid iron rich foods, but it might be prudent to avoid iron supplements and vitamin c.
Should be wary of raw seafood which might contain organisms which favor your iron high environment. Should avoid excess alcohol.

In brief: Just a few

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: None really

Patients are often concerned about the effect of specific foods on their iron balance.
A normal balanced diet is usually sufficient. There is some evidence that higher levels of fresh fruit intake, excluding citrus fruits and juices, has a protective effect against high body iron status patients who are undergoing phlebotomy should not feel compelled to avoid consumption of foods containing iron.

In brief: None really

Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Alan Falkoff

In brief: Hemochromatosis

I assume you mean hemochromatosis .
It is an iron overload disorder. Avoid organ meats and iron supplements.

In brief: Hemochromatosis

I assume you mean hemochromatosis .
Dr. Alan Falkoff
Dr. Alan Falkoff
Pathology

In brief: Just get treated

Once you've begun phlebotomy, you can eat whatever you wish.
This is my advice -- some people will urge you to limit dietary iron, though I feel this is an unnecessary limit on your ability to enjoy life and be a good guest.

In brief: Just get treated

Dr. John Hanna

In brief: Iron

Any foods high in iron and in particular red meat.
This may also include all otc medications and vitamins. I would also recommend avoiding alcohol. The impact of excess iron absorption of the body is liver damage.

In brief: Iron

Dr. John Hanna
Dr. John Hanna
Dr. John Hanna

In brief: Iron

Organ meat, red meat in particular. Any food or vitamins with iron.

In brief: Iron

Dr. John Hanna
Dr. John Hanna