I have a hard lump that is sore on the back of my ankle right next to my achilies tendon. What could it be? I've had it for about a year and a half and its causong discomfort

Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dermatology
In brief: Ganglion cyst?
Difficult to say what it could be without seeing, but it could be a ganglion cyst.
Thisis a tumor or swelling on top of a joint or the covering of a tendon. It looks like a spongy sac (cyst). Inside the cyst is a thick, sticky, clear, colorless, jellylike material. A physical exam is often needed to diagnose a ganglion cyst. See your doctor for evaluation & treatment options.

In brief: Ganglion cyst?
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
In brief: bursitis
This is a swelling that is an aggravation of the area due to irritation from a shoe possibly. If it is harder than that it could be something called a haglund's deformity.

In brief: bursitis
Dr. Steven Frydman
Dr. Steven Frydman
Dr. Vern Chuba
Podiatry
In brief: Tendonosis
Could represent a degenerative tendon condition called tendonosis.
The tendon becomes enlarged and swollen. The tendon is weak in this area. May need an MRI to assess further.

In brief: Tendonosis
Dr. Vern Chuba
Dr. Vern Chuba
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine