If I were to finger my girlfriend- who has herpes- how long would the herpes virus survive on my finger, and is it likely to die off if I wash my hand?

Dr. Gaston Moran Celayes
In brief: Short life
The herpes simplex virus is spread by close contact, so it means that touching a lesion (and not even a lesion) can infect the other person if the virus access a mucosa (mouth inner surface, or other similar tissue [glans, rectal lining]) or a cracked skin.
The virus is fastly inactivated at room temperature and by drying.

In brief: Short life
Dr. Gaston Moran Celayes
Dr. Gaston Moran Celayes
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
In brief: Herpes genitalia
Patient is always at risk of sheeding even if not having outbreak.
Incubation period could be 2-12 days, in some cases up to 26 days. The only way to avoid std is by abstinence. Latex codom is just a barrier to prevent std, patient can still get or transmit std when wearing a condom.

In brief: Herpes genitalia
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Robert Greer
In brief: Depends
If she is having an active outbreak i would recommend not having sex.
It will be painful for her and increase your risk. She may benifit from suppressive therapy like valtrex (valacyclovir).

In brief: Depends
Dr. Robert Greer
Dr. Robert Greer