What is ivig, and why might my doctor have told me I need to take it?

Dr. Stephen Kimura
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Gamma globulin
Ivig is intravenous gammaglobulin.
This is a replacement therapy used commonly for immune deficiencies. It is given typically in an infusion center like a blood transfusion. Ivig also has immunomodulating activities so can also be used for kawasaki's disease as well as itp (immune throbocytopenic purpura).

In brief: Gamma globulin
Ivig is intravenous gammaglobulin.
Dr. Stephen Kimura
Dr. Stephen Kimura
Dr. Jack Mutnick
In brief: IVIG
Ivig is pooled and purified igg antibody used in the treatment of primary immunodeficiency as well as off label use in rheumatologic, neurologic, oncologic diseases.

In brief: IVIG
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Arnon Rubin