Why am I retaining water on my legs, ankles and feet, even if I have not eating for the day and some times I get swelling during the night?

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Many reasons

Any chance your pregnant? Do you have varicose veins? Hypertension? And heart problems? Do you take any medications? Do you work? If you do do you stand a lot for work? There are conditins like lymphedema which is purely a leg swelling issue with no relationship to other comorbidities.
.

In brief: Many reasons

.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. John Weeks

In brief: Many possibilities

Include circulation problems like heart failure, kidney problems, liver disease, low protein levels, obesity, varicose veins, low thyroid, etc.
It is unusual for swelling to get worse overnight if you're lying flat. See a doctor to get evaluated for the cause.

In brief: Many possibilities

Dr. John Weeks
Dr. John Weeks
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology