Why is a schizoid personality a disorder?

Schizoid. The hallmark of the schizoid personality disorder is an indifference to interpersonal relationships. In plain English, these folks prefer to be alone much of the time, and are not lonely because of it. The causes of this disorder are unknown.
Read NIH fact sheet. Nih fact sheet: http://www.Ncbi.Nlm.Nih.Gov/pubmedhealth/pmh0001918/ this is a personality disorder with several specific criteria that need time (several visits) to be clarified with your treating psychiatrist. You can ask your primary doctor for a referral.