Why did my 3 week old sprained ankle still swell when I used a cold compress on it?

Dr. James DeMeo
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Sprain

Swelling after an injury is very common and can last for several weeks.
You should still use ice if you are having swelling. I you are having pain a follow up visit to your doctor is needed.

In brief: Sprain

Dr. James DeMeo
Dr. James DeMeo

In brief: Warm compress

After the first 48 hours you should use warm compresses to get the circulation moving.

In brief: Warm compress

Dr. Steven Frydman
Dr. Steven Frydman

In brief: Chemicals/pressure

With a sprain your body releases local chemicals that dilate blood vessels.
As long as that ankle is positioned below your heart, there is fluid pressure that pushes it out of the dilated vessels. Chilling diminishes the chemical effect but any residual will still produce swelling. After a day or 2 we suggest heat to improve blood flow & remove accumulated extra fluid.

In brief: Chemicals/pressure

Dr. Shontae Buffington