Where could I find a description of the autism spectrum?

PDD . Dsm is the book and apa and aacap and nimh and american academy of paeds and yale developmental center and every university has a website which has information zero to three also has information.
Here you go. Firstsigns.Org; aap.Org/healthtopics/autism.Cfm; www.Autism-society.Org; and www.Autismspeaks.Org those should get you started. If you're concerned about a child, see your pediatrician for referral to a developmental/behavioral pediatrician (sdbp.Org) or specialty clinic. At the same time, call child find of your local school district for assessment for eligibility for ASD special ed age 3 & up.