10 doctors weighed in:

How one can safely clean household items with possible mold infection?

10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
8 doctors agree

In brief: Bleach decontaminate

One part chlorox to 9 parts water makes a 10% bleach solution.
Immersion of an item in this solution for 5 minutes will typically be effective. Rinse with plain water and wipe dry after treatment.

In brief: Bleach decontaminate

One part chlorox to 9 parts water makes a 10% bleach solution.
Immersion of an item in this solution for 5 minutes will typically be effective. Rinse with plain water and wipe dry after treatment.
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Thank
Dr. Douglas Berson
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Mold disinfection

Strictly speaking household items can't get infections.
However organic materials can get contaminated with mold particularly if they are allowed to be wet for a prolonged period. If mold is growing on porous materials such as wood or plaster it is unlikely that it can be eliminated. For other surfaces a dilute bleach solution applied with gloves and proper ventilation would suffice.

In brief: Mold disinfection

Strictly speaking household items can't get infections.
However organic materials can get contaminated with mold particularly if they are allowed to be wet for a prolonged period. If mold is growing on porous materials such as wood or plaster it is unlikely that it can be eliminated. For other surfaces a dilute bleach solution applied with gloves and proper ventilation would suffice.
Dr. Douglas Berson
Dr. Douglas Berson
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Adam Smith
Board Certified,
13 years in practice
382K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors