Is it safe to use miralax (polyethylene glycol) for a 3 year old?

Dr. Randolph Thomas
Miralax (polyethylene glycol) is probably the most commonly used medicine for constipation in pediatrics.
Pediatricians and pediatric gastroenterologists use it for children even younger than your child. I would recommend discussing with your pediatrician the dosage, the length of expected treatment and when your doctor wishes to see your child back for a recheck.

Dr. Randolph Thomas
Dr. Randolph Thomas
This was used only by prescription for years before its safety profile over that time led to its over the counter availability for adults and kids.
I find its name misleading.It is not a laxative in the common use of the term, it is a moisture retainer that resists the bodies attempt to extract water from the poo. Use for up to a year at a time is sometimes needed in problem cases.

Dr. Jonathan Jassey