Is a macular scar the same thing as macular pucker in the eye?

Dr. William Dieck
Ophthalmology
In brief: No
A macular scar is a replacement of the rod and cones (photoreceptors) in the macula.
The normal tissue is no longer present, and one cannot expect a return of function, when the retinal cells no longer exist. A macular pucker refers to a loss of the smooth surface of the retina.The photoreceptors are present, but perceive images incorrectly because of the altered angle they project on the retina.

In brief: No
Dr. William Dieck
Dr. William Dieck
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Different
Macular pucker is due to condensation or wrinkling of the vitreous membrane overlying the macular area (central sharp vision) of the eye.
Macular scar is the damaged concequence of trauma, bleeding or other insults to the macular area causing a permanent and observable change in the vision.

In brief: Different
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Colin McCannel
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery
In brief: Could be...
I generally agree with my colleagues that have already answered this question.
However, there is one more thing to point out. Some retina specialists, refer to puckers or epiretinal membranes as "scar tissue on the macula." while that is not the same as a macular scar, it can sound very similar to a lay person, and yet to us retina specialists it is very different.

In brief: Could be...
Dr. Colin McCannel
Dr. Colin McCannel