I heard that protopic ointment can cause skin cancer, should I continue to use it?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology
In brief: Protopic(Tacrolimus)
Although there is a theoretical concern that topical immunomodulatory therapy with tacrolimus and pimecrolimus may increase the risk of cancer, there is no evidence to date to suggest an increased risk of cutaneous or visceral cancer. The european agency for the evaluation of medicinal products has not recommended any change to labelling or approval of these topical agents.

In brief: Protopic(Tacrolimus)
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Pathology
In brief: I believe it is
Tacrolimus given systemically for immunosuppression can cause the virus-induced hyperplasias that mimic cancer but generally resolve on its withdrawal.
It strains credulity to think this could apply to the common anti-eczema ointment. Br. J. Derm. Sept 2011 actually looked at this hard and probably the excess lymphomas had been misdiagnosed as common eczema rather than caused by the tacrolimus.

In brief: I believe it is
Dr. Adam Smith