I have this cold and sore throat that is almost gone, now but my throat hurts really badly when I swallow. What should I do?

Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Examine sore throat

When someone has been sick for about a week with a cold, and the symptoms seem to have improved, but then a new symptom appears or the symptoms relapse and get worse, it sometimes means there is a secondary infection.
That's actually the best time to see a doctor, because the secondary infections are more likely to be bacterial and to respond to antibiotics than the first ones, which are viral.

In brief: Examine sore throat

Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine