How can I overcome my intense fear of needles?

Difficulty to do. Phobias and fears are often misunderstood by others. I have fear of needles and heights. It is not rational! it is real, can be immobilizing and emotionally painful. Desensitization may take a long time and needs to be by someone skilled and cautious. Maybe having the patient assist in the puncture may help. This can be done. May need professional help. Don't force the issue however.
CBT. Seek a cognitive-behavioral therapist who specializes in phobias. One method they use is systematic desensitization which slowly and incrementally brings the person closer and closer to the thing they are afraid of in slow, graduated steps that help make the anxiety more tolerable.