How can I deal with my chronic ankle pain and instability from a severe sprain 20 months ago?

Ankle stabilization. If you are still having pain and problems you may need a ankle stabilization procedure. Some ankle stress xrays could be helpful in diagnosing your problem. You should see a specialist.
See a doctor. You really need to see a doctor to rule out torn ligaments or tendons.