How can a blood test tell a doctor if you have a fatty liver?

Liver enzymes. Elevated liver enzymes can be a sign of fatty liver (and this is common), but this typically has to be confirmed because there are many things that can cause elevated liver enzymes. Usually an ultrasound or ct will confirm large amounts of fat deposits in the liver.
None specific. There are no specific tests for fatty liver. The cause of fatty liver may produce abnormal lab results, such as in alcoholism, and metabolic syndrome.