Do doctors use surgery to remove disc bulges?

Dr. James Cole
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

We use surgery to remove disc bulges, but only if they are causing pressure on a nerve.
The patient must have correlating symptoms or complaints to need the surgery.

Dr. James Cole
Dr. James Cole
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: It's complicated

It's not clear to me disc bulges are a painful pathological condition it's just the one we came across during a time when you where in pain disectomiies don't work for back pain they are sucessful at relieving leg pain from a pinched nerve by a disc herniation i don't think of disc bulges as abnormal enough to operate on respect the creation disc bulges are a MRI finding not painful pathology f.

In brief: It's complicated

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Jack Hinkle