Can knee surgery or back surgery cause your height to get shorter?

No. Knee surgery or back surgery per se do not result in loss of height. But with ageing the loss of the articulate cartilages in the knee and resulting narrowing of the joint may lead. To lessened height. The disc between our vertebra loses water content as we age, this leads to degenerative changes and if combined with vertebral collapse as in compression fractures will lead to loss of height.

Related Questions

Can knee surgery or back surgery cause you to become shorter?

No. It is difficult to make someone shorter through knee or spine surgery. Typically, corrections of the knee or spine (straighten) will functionally lengthen the limb or stature. The changes though are usually not significant.

I had major back surgery and knee surgery on both knees. Will I physically be able to have a baby?

Probably. Although your specific case should be discussed with your own surgeons, the vast majority of patients who have knee and major back surgeries can have normal pregnancy. To give you an example in my own practice, I routinely perform several hour scoliosis surgeries on young women in which screws and rods are inserted to straighten out the spine, and pretty uniformally have no problem with pregnancy.
Yes. Those problems and treatments, in and of themselves, do not prevent a normal, happy pregnancy. Counseling on details is probably very important.

55 year-old woman had bilateral hip replacements, and had bilateral knee releases over 3 years ago, but had trouble recovering from knee surgery.....?

See FamilyDoc&Ortho. Persistent pain & loss of function after joint replacement needs to be addressed by your Orthopedic surgeon (perhaps loosening of prosthesis). Plan on seeing your FamilyDoc who can refer you to appropriate Physical Therapist (for functional mobility) & Pain specialists too. Discuss w/FamilyDoc whether pain is perhaps statin-induced myalgia.
Hard to say. There can be multiple reasons a person may have a somewhat poor recovery from knee reacemrbt surgery. This can include peri operative medical complications such as a small stroke or heart attack, to surgical complications such as excessive scar tissue formation or occult infection or component malpisituon. I would discuss the specifics of your case with your doctor.
Bilateral knee pain. Assuming you underwent arthroscopic lateral retinacular releases to attempt to realign the tilt of your patella, and the fact that u still have significant knee pain, indicates that your problem has not been helped by the releases. Infortunately that sometimes occurrs when the amount of damage to the underside of the knee cap is substantial. Things u can do, increase quad strength by walking in a heated pool waist high, daily for 15-20 min. Lose 20 lbs. Take glucosamine and fish oil. May also use alleve 2 tabs twice a day for 4 weeks. Avoid bending of your knee as much as u can, avoid or limit stairs, hills, . The releases.
Different. Hip replacements typically have good outcomes. Knee release is a surgery that doesn't always achieve the desired results. See the orthopedic surgeon again. If the hips were bad enough to need replacing, the knees may also need orthopedic intervention.
Platelet Rich Plasma. Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections, inject your own platelet blood components into an area of injury in order to saturate that area with stem cells. This has shown surprising success in large numbers of studies in France, Finland and Germany. Also, the NFL and the Golfing association, among other sports groups send their players for PCP regularly. It has been shown to stimulate the growth of meniscal tissue in the knee. Ask your PCP for a referral to someone in your community who does this.
Certainly... Glucosamine works only in tests tubes. However, chondroitin sulfate has been shown to be effective in a recent double blind study. Are you on any drugs like naproxen? They can certainly help! If you are overweight, that is a barrier to healing. Finally, you need to move to promote healing. Walking or bike riding should give you some relief aftter a few weeks! Finally, see a rheumatologist, since your orthopedist has not given you advice or helpful recommendations.
PainManagePT&Injections. All I can suggest is for you to be functional, you need 1Pain Relief 2 Physical Therapy 3 May be Knee injections with cortisone and Hyalarunic Acid. You are 55 years old. There are some centers where they are treating problems like yours with Stem Cell therapy to regenerate cartileges in the knees. Go google it and find if anyone in your area is doing that.

What can cause back pain after knee surgery?

Alignment issue... Recovery from knee surgery is problematic enough; but if you have a 'sensitive' back this raises the level of care. Any problem that throws off your gait (or how you walk) will cause instability in the muscles and dynamic of your back. Keeping strong abdominal muscles will help counteract this problem; and as your knee recovers your back issue should walk on by. Try some heat to help your back.
Altered walking. I see this fairly often and it is usually do to a change in the way a person walks after the knee surgery. They will tend to favor the operated leg and this will cause excessive strain on their other joints including their back. Usually when the knee gets better and the walking improved the back pain gets better too.

Any options strong as norco that don't cause head/stomach ache? I get sick from norco even with zofran (ondansetron). Post op 2nd knee surgery w/ lots pain and pt.

Discuss with Doctors. You need to discuss need for your pain meds with the doctors as except for tylenolwhich is over the counter and you can take extra strength every 4 hours for pain. Other choice is tramadol with Acetaminophen which is pription and you may be able to tolerate, and you need a prescription for that.
Ultracet (tramdol and acetaminophen) or tramadol. An alternative would be tramadol, a quasi-narcotic, or ultracet (tramdol and acetaminophen) which is tramadol plus acetaminophen. I use these on older patients or those who struggle with narcotics. Another option is Acetaminophen with codeine, an alternate narcotic. Ask your surgeon. Good luck.