Can ankle swelling ever related to lower back pain?

Indirectly. Low back pain is often from a strain of a muscle or problems with the vertebrae of the lumbar region. So, problems to the lower extremity are usually nerve related. However, if the back pain causes one to not walk or to constantly sit due to the pain, it can have an indirect effect due to not functioning properly. So technically - indirectly.
Sure. There are several diseases which may result in low back pain and ankle swelling, seronegatives such as ankylosing spondylitis, reiters disease and psoriatic arthritis could cause these things together. However, more often the symptoms are related to obesity and/or unusual levels of activity. If they persist or if you should encounter a temp. Contact your doc.