Will I be able to have children if I had chlamydia?

Dr. Joel Gallant
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Only with PID

Tube damage and infertility can sometimes occur as a result of pid, (pelvic inflammatory disease)' a more severe form of gonorrhea and chlamydia that involves the fallopian tubes.
You won't become infertile from simple chlamydia invoving the cervix.

In brief: Only with PID

Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Joel Gallant

In brief: Hard to say

Chlamydia can move up into your Fallopian tubes and create scarring that prevents normal tube function.
This can render someone functionally sterile or at risk of a tubal pregnancy.Whether this ever occurs, occurs early or late in a given infection is hard to predict. OBGYNs can do a test to see if the tubes are open but that doesn't verify function.Someone with bad tubes can have a baby with IVF

In brief: Hard to say

Dr. Jane Van Dis