Metatarsalgia or metatarsal fracture? Can you tell without taking an x-ray?

Dr. James DeMeo
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Xray

A fracture or broken bone is usually very painful where as metatarsalgia is often mild to moderately painful.
That being said, pain is a very subjective thing therefore an x-ray should be taken , as an x-ray is very diagnostic for these two conditions.

In brief: Xray

Dr. James DeMeo
Dr. James DeMeo
Dr. Brandon Macy
Podiatry

In brief: Not really.

Unless the bone is protruding through the skin in a severe fracture, you can't tell without an x-ray.
Sometimes a sonogram or MRI is also used, but they're not first line tests.

In brief: Not really.

Dr. Brandon Macy
Dr. Brandon Macy

In brief: Fracture

An x ray is the diagnostic tool for a fracture.
Everyone feels pain differently - I have had patients walk in on ankle fractures . Really. So , see your podiatrist for the x rays you need and a diagnosis.

In brief: Fracture

Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine