I'm allergic to my cat, but don't want to get rid of her. What else can I try?

Dr. Joram Seggev
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: May have to suffer
Cat allergen is very light and easily transferred even from one person to another. You can take otc antihistamines, such as fexofenadine or cetirizine; at least try to get the cat out of the bedroom, use an air purifier in your bedroom and shower before going to bed.
If you are unwilling to do that, allergy desensitization shots by an allergist may reduce y our symptoms and make you comfortable.

In brief: May have to suffer
Dr. Joram Seggev
Dr. Joram Seggev
Dr. Alex Martinez
Internal Medicine - Allergy
In brief: Decrease exposure
Pets can become part of our family, so it becomes difficult when we develop an allergy to them. The best way to avoid allergy problems is to decrease exposure.
If you can't find a good home for your cat, try to at least keep her out of your bedroom. We spend about one-third of our lives in the bedroom, so decreasing your exposure there can help. Allergy medications and shots can also be helpful.

In brief: Decrease exposure
Dr. Alex Martinez
Dr. Alex Martinez
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Some people recommend washing the cat (if it will allow you) but it needs to be at least once a week. A room air cleaner HEPA may help in the bedroom. Neither of these is a great substitute for removing the cat. Agree that medications will help, but ultimately, allergy injections are likely your best bet.
Dr. William Forsythe