5 doctors weighed in:

Can you really die from a diphenhydramine overdose?

5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry
2 doctors agree

In brief: Yes

Although death is not common from a diphenhydramine overdose - an overdose warrants prompt medical attention.

In brief: Yes

Although death is not common from a diphenhydramine overdose - an overdose warrants prompt medical attention.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Thank
2 comments
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
The cause of injuries or death from Benadryl is accidents. It is used as a sleeping pill. Sometimes people take it for itch, eczema, poison ivy, etc., This is due to ignorance. It is not useful for skin conditions except for hives. It is very dangerous to drive a car for 4 hours after consumption. There are much better, safer antihistamines. Do not take a sleeping pill if you are driving. You for
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
You forgot to specify the amount of the "overdose". It is very difficult to kill anyone with diphenhydramine.
2 doctors agree

In brief: Potentially yes

If you or someone else has taken too much of benadryl, (diphenhydramine) or any other substance, call the national poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
For advice.

In brief: Potentially yes

If you or someone else has taken too much of benadryl, (diphenhydramine) or any other substance, call the national poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
For advice.
Dr. Christopher Abel
Dr. Christopher Abel
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Jonathan Jassey
Board Certified, Pediatrics
14 years in practice
1M people helped
Continue
111,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors