How do I tell that my 4 months old baby is suffering from asthma ?

Dr. John Overholt
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Infection

Most wheezing in infants is due to infections, not asthma.
An infant's airway is so small that any swelling from an infection can lead to wheezing. Most asthma physicians would not label a child as asthmatic until after their third birthday.

In brief: Infection

Dr. John Overholt
Dr. John Overholt

In brief: Too young 2 tell

Kids with a strong family history of asthma, may eventually carry that tag later in life.
Yet in infancy there are many conditions that wheeze that will fade by school age (~70%).Viral infections of the small airways like rsv, can recur each year & look like asthma & sometimes benefit from the same meds. Most use asthma as a label for recurrent wheezing in the absence of infection.

In brief: Too young 2 tell

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology