Why can't people with autoimmune diseases take melanin?

Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Wrong word

Melanin is producted by skin cells in response to sun light and is responsible for darkening the skin.
Melatonin is a hormone that has been linked in some studies as a possible cause for autoimmune hepatitis (liver disease). Persons who have already developed one autoimmune disease are at higher risk for developing another type of autoimune problem and this may be the origin of this recommendati.

In brief: Wrong word

Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Dr. Jack Mutnick

In brief: Melanin and autoimmu

Where did you read or hear this? Melanin is a substance that can be affected by autoimmune disease and ingestion of external melanin supplements will have no benefit, but I have not heard about this contraindication.
Did you discuss this with a rheumatologist?

In brief: Melanin and autoimmu

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Eric Weisman