How do I help my husband who suffers from nightmares after being in the military?

Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Pain Management
In brief: See Psychologist
It's possible your husband is suffering from something called post-traumatic stress disorder. This is a type of anxiety disorder.
There is help. I suggest you get in touch with your local va hospital. Their psychologists will have a lot of experience in treating these types of problems.

In brief: See Psychologist
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
In brief: Professional help.
If he is still on active duty- encourage him to seek care at the nearest military treatment facility.
If he is a vet - many cities have "vet centers". He should also seek evaluation( (usually through a compensation and pension evaluation) through your veterans affairs medical center.

In brief: Professional help.