What is the best treatment for teens who self-harm, more specifically cutting?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Self-harm

Habitual self-harm can be one of features of borderline personality disorder where there is identity diffusion & the act is resorted to in attempt to enlist feeling of temporary relief of discomfort that results from painful traumatic memories.
Consult a therapist who specializes with dialectical behavior therapy. Also, treating underlying mood disorder helps.

In brief: Self-harm

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Cutting

Teens are at higher risk for drug use and cutting, as well as other risky behaviors.
This kind of acting out is done as a way of communicating what are often very complex feelings about themselves, their world, their future, and in my opinion, DEEPLY conflicted relationships with people in positions of authority.

In brief: Cutting

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Jonathan Jassey