I have a 5y old that woke up screaming that his ear hurt. Should I take him to the e.R.?

Dr. Deborah Archer

In brief: Depends

I would call your pediatrician's office first to see if they have any urgent care appointments.
Also look for signs of other illness in your child, fever, nausea vomiting. You may give ibuprofren for pain. He definitely should be seen in the next day or so as it could be an ear infection.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Deborah Archer
Dr. Deborah Archer

In brief: Can help/see in AM

I find most of these kids will respond to Ibuprofen & warmth applied to the ear for immediate help.
It is thought that the warmth (heating pad @ low or water bottle) distracts the brain & alters the focus from the pain to the heat. The Ibuprofen works on the pain fibers directly. Your pcp should get you in in the morning or an urgent care center would help if a weekend.

In brief: Can help/see in AM

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine