Could I play football with a torn ACL and meniscus, or is that a career ender?

Acl and football. It will be very difficult for you to play football with an acl tear and a meniscus tear. If you have surgery it may give you another chance to play.
No and Yes. No you should not play unless this has been addressed by an orthopedic surgeon. Yes, you can play once the acl and meniscus surgery has been performed. Many collegiate and nfl players have similar injuries and can return to high level of sports. Get evaluated by an orthoepdic sports medicine surgeon well versed in care of athletes.
Yes. One of the main goals of an acl reconstruction is to return you to your previous level of activity. It is important to allow time for the acl to mature after surgery, so an 8-9 month waiting period is quite important to prevent retears. Not everyone returns to their previous activity level, but it is certainly the goal.