How would a person know whether it was an allergy or asthma causing breathing problems?

Doctor Eval. Asthma is recurrent bronchospasm and airway inflammation and it can be caused by allergies. Allergic symptoms can include bronchospasm. So, in order to know if bronchospasm is due to allergy, you would need to see your doctor for an evaluation.
Asthma. Allergies can trigger asthma, which causes breathing problems, so it is all related. Asthma occurs when the tissues of the airways become inflammed, constricted and secrete mucus. This causes the typical breathing problems, wheezing, shortness of breath, and cough. Trigger for asthma include allergies, infections, exercise, cold dry air and stress or anxiety.
Asthma. Asthma has several triggers, one of which is allergies. Therefore, when allergies cause "asthma-like" symptoms, it is asthma, period. It people where allergies are a common trigger of asthma symptoms, controlling the allergies can often help control the asthma. This includes avoidance, medications, and allergy shots.