Painful muscle spasms in the calf sometimes. Any prevention?

Muscle Cramps. Usually due to dehydration or loss of electrolytes when rehydrating with just water. Make sure that you replenish electrolytes including magnesium (magox 400mg). This is especially true if you take anti hypertension medications that have diuretic properties, or if you drink caffeinated drinks.
Yes, possible help. Exercise induced spasms can be reduced by through pre-exercise stretching and warm-ups. Night spasms can be reduced by heavy hydration before bed. Try 16 oz of water or electrolyte. I found this by accident for myself. Muscles fire due to electrical ions crossing membranes. Mild dehydration can cause electrolyte imbalance.