Will using afrin (oxymetazoline) at night cause me to sleep better?

In brief: Maybe yes - maybe no

Sleep disturbance is a possible side effect of afrin (oxymetazoline).
However, if a person was having problems with sleep due to congestion - then use of afrin (oxymetazoline) may help to improve quality of sleep. Remember that Afrin (oxymetazoline) use is limited to 3 to 5 days.

In brief: Maybe yes - maybe no

Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Using Afrin (oxymetazoline) at night

The usual instruction for afrin (oxymetazoline) is not to use for more than 3 consecutive days.
In my own experience, due to allergies, my nose is completely blocked every night. I have learned to use afrin (oxymetazoline) every night, but my ENT physician made the suggestion to dilute the afrin (oxymetazoline) with water by about 1:5 . This way you can use it every night without significant daytime rebound. Have used this for 5 years.

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Jack Hinkle