How do I burp my baby during feedings?

Dr. Marc Wager
In brief: Good question!
Although you think this is a simple question, it's more controversial than you think.
Some pediatric gastroenterologists think burping is a waste of time, but i always like burping, and it gives both the burper and the burpee a sense of satisfaction. My favorite technique: over the shoulder with gentle patting of the back. The nursery favorite: sitting baby in her lap with gentle back rubbing.

In brief: Good question!
Dr. Marc Wager
Dr. Marc Wager
Dr. Gregg Alexander
In brief: Over your shoulder
Especially if your baby is prone to spitting up or has reflux (gerd), place their belly toward your upper chest/over your shoulder and with a gentle, but firm pats of their lower back/bottom. This takes advantage of gravity pulling breast milk or formula downwards allowing trapped air to bubble upwards.
..And, hopefully, out - uuurrrp!

In brief: Over your shoulder
..And, hopefully, out - uuurrrp!
Dr. Gregg Alexander
Dr. Gregg Alexander
Dr. Shontae Buffington