With TMJ disorder, will the joint heal back in place after surgery?

Dr. Dennis Kelley
Dentistry

In brief: Hopefully

That's the outcome the surgeon is looking for but doing surgery on the TMJ should be a last resort because sometimes it makes the problem worse.

In brief: Hopefully

Dr. Dennis Kelley
Dr. Dennis Kelley
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Sometimes

Depends on the procedure.
If the disk is our of position, it may still be out of position after a successful athroscopy. Open surgery may reposition the disk. Sometimes with open surgery the disk is removed. Ask your TMJ surgeon.

In brief: Sometimes

Depends on the procedure.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dentistry

In brief: That's the Plan

No one would ever perform surgery if they didn't think the outcome would be beneficial.
In this case, it means that your TMJ would heal and be healthy again. That's the plan. However, this is a very difficult surgery & success rates aren't always as high as we'd like. Make sure it's your only and absolutely last option before proceeding. I would recommend at least three expert opinions up front.

In brief: That's the Plan

Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry

In brief: Last resort

Tmj surgery is unpredictable.
And while it will heal, the joint will never be the same as it was in health. I consider surgery a last resort, and exhaust all non-surgical approaches first.

In brief: Last resort

Tmj surgery is unpredictable.
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Louis Gallia
With or without surgery, the joint will never be the same as it was in health.