Can TMJ be associated with vertigo?

Dr. Dennis Kelley
Dentistry

In brief: Sometimes

The temporomandibular joint is located very close to the inner ear canal and when this joint becomes inflamed and painful sometimes this inflammation can radiate out and i suppose it's possible that it could affect the inner ear where balance is regulated.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Dennis Kelley
Dr. Dennis Kelley
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Imbalance

Imbalance but not true vertigo (room spinning).
If you have spinning, see a neurologist or ENT doc.

In brief: Imbalance

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia

In brief: ENT

I would see an ENT doctor. Normally dizziness is not typically a symptom of tmj/tmd.
Could be an inner ear issue or some other ailment. I am not ruling out tmd, but would exhaust other avenues first.

In brief: ENT

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry

In brief: Absolutely

Compression in the region of the jaw joint on adjacent structures can cause vertigo.
It is all part of the cranial nerve system. Of course, it is not the only possibility, so other causes must be ruled out by the md.

In brief: Absolutely

Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine