How can you prevent recurrent kidney stones?

Dr. Pascale Lane
Pediatrics - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Hydration

Drinking lots of water is the most important thing.
Depending on the type of stones and a metabolic work-up changes in diet or medications may be needed. Diet changes may include reducing salt intake. Calcium reduction is not indicated; increased dietary calcium may actually reduce risk. Finally, drink lots of water. I can't say that enough.

In brief: Hydration

Dr. Pascale Lane
Dr. Pascale Lane
Dr. Simon Kimm
Urology

In brief: Hydration.

To prevent stone recurrences, first increase fluid intake, taking 10 full glasses (2l) of water a day.
Follow a low salt diet, since sodium increases calcium in the urine. Reduce protein in the diet, which will reduce calcium & oxalate in the urine. Do not restrict dietary calcium, but stick to the usrda. If you continue to recur, a metabolic workup will show you what diet and meds will help.

In brief: Hydration.

Dr. Simon Kimm
Dr. Simon Kimm