I need some info or advice from anyone who has had an umbilical hernia repaired? How normal does it look?

Dr. David Earle
Surgery
In brief: Normal
Not having had an umbilical hernia fixed, but having fixed a lot of them, after the operation the goal is for the belly button to look normal.
There are some circumstances where that doesn't happen, and if it is still not normal after about six months or so, see your surgeon to see if something can be done about it.

In brief: Normal
Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Better than Pre-Op
In fairness, I have never had an umbilical hernia repaired (u need a different website for that), but I have fixed hundreds.
The cosmetic results depend on the size of the hernia, the size of the patient, and the method of repair. If you see a hernia surgeon, they can draw what your scar will look like and describe the cosmetic changes. Either way, it will look better than before surgery :-).

In brief: Better than Pre-Op
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. David Henry
Surgery
In brief: Looks good
I haven't had one fixed, but I have repaired them. The bulge from the hernia should be gone.
The skin incision is usually about the length as the hernia is wide, unless it's fixed laparoscopically (with tiny incisions and a video camera). The scar tissue may feel firm. Rarely, the belly button may turn purple or blue and rarely may need another procedure to revise it.

In brief: Looks good
Dr. David Henry
Dr. David Henry
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery