Is the method of transcranial magnetic stimulation any good in treating depression?

Looks promising . Refractory depression is often hard to treat. Tms offers a safe but expensive treatment which can be offered following failure to just one antidepressant. The treatments are usually 5 days a week and go on for 4-5 weeks in the parts of dallas I am familiar with.I wish insurance would cover this more often.
Yes. Yes. I believe, particularly after seeing it in our patients, that it is the most potent, best tolerated procedure. In my estimation, it is as effective as electroconvulsive therapy.... You just have to wait a few weeks to a few months after treatment is concluded. It is not as fast, but is remarkably better tolerated with no memory loss. It is also more potent than medications.
Mixed results. According to a nimh review, clinical trials studying the effectiveness of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rtms) have had mixed results. Some studies have found that rtms is more effective in treating patients with major depression. But, other studies have found no difference in response to rtms compared to inactive treatment.
Absolutely. Research shows that tms, when used alone without meds, is as effective as a 1st trial of an antidepressant drug, and more effective than trying a 2nd one. Using tms as an add-on to meds can be even more effective. As a psychiatrist who treats patients with tms and medications in los angeles, i feel very comfortable using both, either separately or in combination, depending on patient needs.