Is my dentist being extra careful? He prescribed me penicillin v. Potassium for a root canal?

Dr. Jay Kansal
Dentistry
In brief: No
Penicillin is the gold standard in dentistry because it is very effective for dental infections.
Im not sure where you got potassium from but that is not an antibiotic.

In brief: No
Dr. Jay Kansal
Dr. Jay Kansal
Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry
In brief: Possibly
When a root canal is complete files are used to debride the canal space and they can transfer pathogens to the apex of the tooth during the procedure and even if the tooth is disinfected well, some may exit the tooth into the bone and cause inflammation and possible infection.
He is likley trying to prevent post op infeciton that jepardize the root canal.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Jonathan Jassey