I'm getting surgery on my foot the week before I start my first year at college. Any words of advice?

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

In brief: Talk to your surgeon

About any concerns and most importantly follow his/her postoperative instructions.

In brief: Talk to your surgeon

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel

In brief: Advice

This certainly depends on the surgery itself.
I would hope you are not having a major procedure as college involves a great deal of walking. Make sure you follow your surgeon's instructions for a good outcome.

In brief: Advice

Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. Thomas Inwood

In brief: It depends

Generally with any type of surgery you want to be able to sit and elevate the foot for the first few days, this is when the swelling is the worst.
The type of surgery will dictate what you can do post-op and how much activity you can tolerate. Speak with your doctor prior to surgery to make sure you give yourself the best chance of a good outcome.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Johnnie Alston
Dr. Johnnie Alston
Dr. Jack Hinkle