Are online BMI calculators accurate?

Dr. John Washburn

In brief: Yes, but...

The calculator will give you an accurate bmi, but how well that measures your fitness/health is unclear. I've had finely tuned athletes show up as obese according to bmi.
If you're concerned about it just check with your doctor.

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. John Washburn
Dr. John Washburn
Dr. Randolph Thomas

If you enter your correct height and weight into the proper equation or a bmi calculator, the results should be correct.
The exact meaning of a particular bmi might be open to interpretation as someone who is very muscular and has only 4% body fat might have a higher bmi than a couch potato who has love handles. For most of us, the bmi is a good indicator of appropriate weight versus overweight.

Dr. Randolph Thomas
Dr. Randolph Thomas
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine