I got hydrocortisone for poision ivy. Can I use it on sun poisoning too?

Dr. Shala Fardin
Dermatology
In brief: Sunburn, Hives, PMLE
If you mean sunburn, the damage is done and Hydrocortisone won't help much.
Anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen), cool compresses, and skin hydration with soothing gels or creams can help with symptoms. Stay out of the sun completely and wear sunscreen/sun protection going forward. If you mean hives or a rash called polymorphic light eruption (pmle), talk to your doctor--cortisones can help these.

In brief: Sunburn, Hives, PMLE
Dr. Shala Fardin
Dr. Shala Fardin
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology
In brief: I would think not.
This depends on what you mean by sun poisoning.
If you mean sunburn, you're better off with sunblock/suntan lotion, which is designed to block ultraviolet light. Hydrocortisone is designed to lessen the body's reaction to the poison ivy and lighten the rash, so these are two different things. Therefore, do not use Hydrocortisone for sunburn.

In brief: I would think not.
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine