2 doctors weighed in:

How do you not get food poisoning by eating sushi if it is raw fish?

2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joel Gallant
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
1 doctor agrees

In brief: No sewage!

When you get food poisoning from raw seafood, it's usually from shellfish, such as oysters, that filter water that may be contaminated with sewage.
That's not the case with fish used in sush, which swim around in the sea. However, you can sometimes get parasites, such as tapeworms, from sushi. As far as i'm concerned, it's worth the risk.

In brief: No sewage!

When you get food poisoning from raw seafood, it's usually from shellfish, such as oysters, that filter water that may be contaminated with sewage.
That's not the case with fish used in sush, which swim around in the sea. However, you can sometimes get parasites, such as tapeworms, from sushi. As far as i'm concerned, it's worth the risk.
Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Joel Gallant
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Arnon Rubin
Board Certified, Internal Medicine
20 years in practice
163K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors