Why do I suffer from chronic pain?

Dr. David Teicheira
Pain Management

In brief: Sigh...

Unfortunately, jag, that is one of the great unanswered questions.
We do know however that without an intact pain system, people start to damaging themselves immediately. Without pain we do not know how to avoid damaging our bodies. People born without an intact pain system do not live long. We are not allowed to modify the pain system very much.

In brief: Sigh...

Dr. David Teicheira
Dr. David Teicheira
Dr. Mitchell Cohn
One common theory-with which I do NOT agree-is that the brain changes to maintain a sense of pain even when there is no cause; this is untreatable. Some cases, such as RSD, have pain maintained by weird physiologic phenomena we really don’t understand. In my experience, though, much pain is maintained by malfunctioning muscles, bones, and soft-tissues which resond well to osteopathic manipulation.
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice

In brief: Soft tissue injury

To my mind, reason for most chronic pain is chronic soft tissue (fascia, muscle, tendon, ligament & nerve) injury.
Despite what lay people believe, ct & MRI scans provide less than precise architectural views of these tissues. Within the arena of medicine there is improper conduct that "if it cannot be seen or measured it does not exist". This is why we have an epidemic of chronic pain in U.S.

In brief: Soft tissue injury

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
2 comments
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The most precise instrument for deciphering the cause(s) of chronic pain are clinicians not hurried by time and who know how to listen to patients to discern the exact mechanism(s) of injury, whether acute or repetative forces, and who know how to touch and listen to the injured body as it functions in space and time to discern the biomechanical functions of disordered soft tissues.
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The comments made above also relate to the failure of modern medicine to discover the cause of fibromyalgia which, in my medical opinion, is a chronic soft tissue injury, as I have espoused on many of my posts about fibromyalgia and which can be searched on my site at Healthtap.com.
Dr. Adam Levy