How do slit & traditional allergy injections differ?

Dr. Javier Chinen
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma
In brief: How they are given
SLIT stands for sublingual immunotherapy.
SLIT and allergy shots both reduce allergy symptoms by inducing immune tolerance. SLIT has been much studied in Europe, but still considered research in the US and it is not FDA approved. Details of dose, side effects and long-term efficacy are being defined and available for not many pollens.

In brief: How they are given
Dr. Javier Chinen
Dr. Javier Chinen
Dr. Lee Perry
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Many differences
Slit (sublingual immunotherapy) is not fda approved and is not covered by insurance companies (can be expensive).
Also, the studies that have proven the efficacy of slit have mostly been performed on monosensitized patients (allergic to only one allergen)--in my practice, it is rare to find a patient that is only allergic to one thing. Allergy shots are superior to slit, in my opinion.

In brief: Many differences
Dr. Lee Perry
Dr. Lee Perry
Dr. Marsha Davis